2. We aim to ensure that the information published on this website is accurate and consistent with current knowledge and practice in the NHS. However, medical knowledge and practice is constantly evolving and individual cases may require specific advice and cannot be addressed through this website. Accordingly, this website is provided for information only. It is not intended to replace a consultation with an appropriately qualified health professional. We cannot guarantee that information provided by us through this website will meet your health or medical requirements. If you are concerned about your health, please contact a health professional or call NHS Direct Wales on 0845 46 47.
3. You acknowledge and agree that NHS Direct Wales and Welsh Ambulance Services NHS Trust will not be responsible for any claims, losses or damages (whether direct or indirect) arising out of or relating to the use of or reliance on the contents of the NHS Direct Wales web site (www.nhsdirect.wales.nhs.uk) except to the extent that such liability cannot be excluded by law.
4. You shall not reverse engineer, decompile, copy or adapt software or other code or scripts that form part of the website. You shall not attempt to transmit to or via the website any information that contains a virus, worm, Trojan, or other harmful or disruptive component.
5. We cannot guarantee uninterrupted access to the website, or the sites to which it links. We accept no responsibility for any damage arising from the unavailability of this website or the information it contains.
6. This website contains links to other sites. We are not responsible for the content of any third party website.
7. You may create hypertext links to our website, but we ask that any links are in accordance with our links policy.
9. The internet is not a secure medium for communication. We cannot guarantee that any information you submit to us through the website or by email will arrive safely or be secure from interception by third parties.
11. Material contained in our website is crown copyright © protected except where otherwise stated. You shall not copy, reproduce or redistribute any material contained in our website except in accordance with our content authorisation policy.
13. The website is produced in accordance with our editorial and review process. If you wish to request any other documents used in the editorial and review process please use our contact us page
All links from this website are selected using our editorial and review process. Links are provided for information and convenience only. We cannot accept responsibility for the sites linked to, or the information found there. A link does not imply an endorsement of a site; likewise not linking to a particular site does not imply lack of endorsement.
We reserve the right to withdraw a link or refuse to link any website without providing an explanation or justification.
If you would like a copy of our editorial and review process and evaluation criteria please contact us including your email address.
Links to this website
We welcome organisations and individuals to create links to our home page and individual pages within our website, without requiring our permission to do so. However, we do request that those linking to our website respect the following conditions:
- Links should not be used in a defamatory context
- Those creating deep links should be aware that specific page URLs are subject to change without notice;
- With the exception of NHS organisations, the NHS Direct Wales logo must not be copied and used to create links;
- We do not ‘trade’ links – if you chose to create a link to our website, we will not offer to create a reciprocal link.
Editorial and Review Process
NHS Direct Wales publishes health information on the NHS Direct Wales website.
The purpose of the editorial policy is to:
- ensure that all content is accessible
- maintain a consistent style,
- ensure clinical accuracy
- provide factually based clinical view on content
- emphasise the independence of the content creation process,
- ensure content always provides a balanced view on a subject,
- support the goals, purpose and policies of NHS Direct Wales and promote the wider principles and values of the NHS and government health agenda, and
- ensure that content is reviewed and updated regularly
3. Content Editorial Board
The Chair is the Lead of Partners in Healthcare.
Representatives from NHS Direct Wales, Public Health Wales; Welsh Government; Welsh Language Board with responsibilities around public health; information; promotion.
Representatives from organisations involved in providing health and health service information and specialist advisers as required.
4. Content Production
Where possible, all content is produced by the Content Editorial Board, but content production may be outsourced if:
- time restrictions prevent it being produced in-house
- more specialist knowledge is required, or
- it is more effective to do so
Content plans are produced to schedule the production of new content and ensure that existing content is reviewed and updated regularly. These plans can be amended at any time to reflect changes in business objectives.
All content by NHS Direct Wales is subject to in-house editorial and review processes and sign-off either by the Health Information Services Manager or Associate Medical Director.
5. Intellectual property rights
The crown retains copyright of all content published, unless there are other specific contractual agreements in place.
6. Identifying content priorities
Decisions on content priorities are informed and identified from a variety of sources, including:
- Public requirements and demand measured by usage of content,
- User and staff feedback via telephony and e-media
- High profile health stories,
- Emergency public health news,
- Government policies, National Service Frameworks, GP contract,
- Department of Health campaigns and initiatives
- Welsh Government campaigns and initiatives,
- Business, stakeholder and marketing objectives,
- Health campaigns and awareness weeks, and
- Content gaps identified by the editorial and review teams
Content on the website and its use are regularly reviewed to ensure that the information remains current, up to date and of value to web users. We want to make sure that the sections and content reflect the growing demand for health and local service information and that it is accessible to as wide a range of users as possible.
Links to other websites and contact details of other organisations may be included in NHS Direct Wales content, but this does not indicate endorsement.