Giving Birth

Planning to give birth outside the UK

If you want to give birth in another EEA country or Switzerland, you will need an S2 form to cover the birth and a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to cover any immediately necessary treatment that arises.

Generally, you should contact your local National Contact Point, if you plan to have medical treatment in Europe. However, to apply for an S2 covering maternity care, you need to contact or write to the Overseas Healthcare Team in Newcastle explaining why you want care outside the UK and enclosing the following information:

  • a maternity certificate (MATB1) or a letter from your UK GP or midwife showing your expected date of delivery
  • your NHS number or National Insurance number
  • your date of birth, your full UK address and dates of travel

Indicate whether you will be returning to the UK after you have given birth and whether you have already left the UK for the other country.

Fill in the Maternity S2 application form (DOCX, 35kb) and send it together with your MATB1 and all other required documents to the Overseas Heathcare Team.

Overseas Healthcare Team (Newcastle)
Room M0135
Durham House
Tyne & Wear
NE38 7SF

Tel: 0191 218 1999 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm)

Tip: It is recommended that you have adequate travel insurance as the EHIC may not cover you for every situation.

Tip: Even if you plan to give birth in the UK and you're only going for a short trip abroad, you're advised to take a valid EHIC with you. The card will provide cover for all medical treatment linked to the birth if the baby is born unexpectedly.


Last Updated: 01/04/2017 09:00:00