The Eatwell Plate
You can use this eatwell plate to help you get the balance right. It shows how much of what you eat should come from each food group.
Split into five segments to represent the five food groups as follows:-
- Bread, rice, potatoes, pasta and other starchy foods - Eat Plenty, choose wholegrain varieties when you can
- Fruit and vegetables - Eat plenty, at least five portions of a variety of fruit and vegetables a day
- Milk and dairy foods - Eat some, choose lower fat alternatives whenever possible or eat higher fat versions infrequently or in smaller amounts
- Meat, fish, eggs, beans and other non-dairy sources of protein - Eat some, choose lower fat alternatives whenever possible or eat higher fat versions infrequently or in smaller amounts. Aim for at least two portions of fish a week, including a portion of oily fish
- Food and drinks high in fat or/in sugar - Eat just a small amount
Try to choose options that are lower in salt when you can. Adults should have no more than 6 grams of salt a day.
This content has been taken from: Department of Health in association with the Welsh Assembly Government, the Scottish Government and the Food Standards Agency in Northern Ireland.